Investor Protection Campaign Accomplishments to Date
share this page
Over the past decade, the FINRA Foundation has developed a robust and multifaceted Investor Protection Campaign to protect consumers from financial fraud and to ameliorate the consequences of fraud. In addition to growing the body of research exploring why and how investors fall prey to investment fraud, we have employed national, state and grassroots partnerships to develop and distribute financial fraud prevention resources, conduct outreach to consumers and train law enforcement professionals and victim advocates. This campaign is a source of innovation and collaboration in the fields of fraud research, prevention, detection and response.
Our key achievements include:
- Unique and lasting contributions to the body of fraud-related research, including a financial fraud classification system that is now included in the National Crime Victimization Survey and has the potential to greatly enhance our understanding of the prevalence and characteristics of financial fraud in the U.S.;
- Delivery of more than 2,500 presentations in conjunction with national and community partners that have reached nearly 132,000 investors and fraud fighters nationwide with actionable fraud prevention research, messaging and tools;
- Delivery of fraud prevention counseling to over one million investors through outbound calls from a network of Fraud Fighter Call Centers;
- Production of two, hour-long documentary films—Trick$ of the Trade and Thinking Money—which achieved national television distribution through American Public Television;
- Training more than 7,000 law enforcement and victim advocates—representing more than 1,000 federal, state and local agencies and nonprofits—to detect, prevent and respond to financial fraud;
- Creation and distribution of a financial fraud prevention toolkit for crime prevention specialists and other fraud fighters;
- Development of Taking Action: An Advocate's Guide to Assisting Victims of Financial Fraud, a comprehensive resource guide on financial fraud for victim service providers, accompanied by Taking Action Victim Recovery Checklists;
- Launch of innovative fraud prevention resources, such as the Con ’Em If You Can video game, and growth of a social media following to leverage online and mobile channels to serve new audiences; and
- Distribution and customization of hundreds of thousands of essential, unbiased investor protection publications and DVDs to empower consumers to protect themselves from financial fraud.